Sunday, July 5, 2015

I'M FEELING 22!


            July 3rd was my 22nd birthday.  I’m not huge on birthdays but this one I felt like I wanted it to at least be a good day.  It’s not that I don’t like my birthday or anything, I think it has more to do with the fact that mine is the third birthday in what we at our house call “birthday week”.  It’s actually over the course of two weeks, but the last week of June and the first week of July both my brothers and I have birthdays.  Anyways not only did 22 turn out to be one of the best birthdays it was also one of the best days I’ve had all year. 
            The birthday festivities actually started on the evening before my birthday.  My older brother was too excited to wait to give me my present the next day so I got to open it early.  Apparently he had gotten the rest of the family to pitch in so they could buy me a tablet!  I’m super excited about it because it will give me more was to entertain myself when I’m stuck in bed.  He even picked out a pink tablet, good pick brother!




            Birthday morning started right with waffles and singing happy birthday.  Not long after that my neighbor and birthday buddy Jack came over.  Jack is turning 73 this year, just a few days after my birthday.  For a couple years now we’ve gotten ice cream and taken his amazing Corvette for a spin.  He’s as good as a grandpa to me.  This year I wasn’t up to going out so he stopped by in the morning with a beautiful cake and mint chocolate chip ice cream (because he knows it’s my favorite).  It was so very thoughtful.
            Throughout the rest of the day I had more visitors than I’ve had in ages.  Usually talking wears me out but I handled it better than I thought I would.  My visiting teachers from my home ward came and sang to me and brought me chocolates.  I’ve known these sweet ladies since I was a kid and I’ve adopted them as grandmas, they are so amazing!  Also my friend Jenn and her fiancé came to visit and brightened my day.  After that my aunt and uncle came to wish me a happy birthday and brought along with them my uncle’s dad Dan.  When I went to the mayo clinic we stayed with my uncle’s parents for almost a month, so we’re family.  Dan is a massage therapist so he came on my birthday and gave me a massage.  As if that wasn’t enough my cousin Julie stopped by with a movie she bought me.  It was so awesome to see her and her little family, I just felt so loved. 
            I also felt loved seeing all the people who wished me happy birthday on Facebook, via text, etc.  It seems simple but it really does feel nice to know people are thinking of you for a couple minutes in their day.  Or in my Grammy’s case all the minutes in the day, she out did herself by making me this huge pillow that helps me either elevate my legs or sit up in bed.  Plus besides having functional purposes its really cute!
For as long as I can remember we have always done sparklers and maybe some other fireworks on my birthday.  This proved a little more difficult this year but I made it down the stairs (yay!) and out on the porch.  I had a fan on me and I didn’t stay out more than about 10 mins because it was still pretty hot and P.O.T.S. doesn’t react well to heat, but it’s progress!


After that we light the candles, sang happy birthday and I blew out the candles.  There’s something about a birthday wish that feels like it counts more, maybe it’s because you only get one a year but I feel like 22 is going to be a good year;)


No comments:

Post a Comment