Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Mishmash of a week


          Not too much has happened this week except an overall relief that my anxiety hasn’t been so bad.  I know what you’re probably thinking, “Well if your anxiety is better then maybe the rest of it is in your head too”.  If you didn’t jump to this conclusion, everyone who has a chronic illness thanks you.  Just imagine if your body was a ticking time bomb capable of passing out, going into shock and ruining your day at any moment.  Wouldn’t you become just a little nervous?  Sometimes the anxiety is not so bad and I feel empowered, like I can handle my life.  Other times it takes over everything, and I feel completely overwhelmed.  Having said all that, my point is that this week I don’t feel crushed by anxiety and it’s a huge relief.  It is so much easier to enjoy things, which brings me to what I had originally planned to write about, entertainment.
            A couple days ago I got the sweetest care package from my friend Janelle.  It had the newest Weepies album and a shirt with The Weepies lyrics on it.  It’s always exciting to get mail but it’s even better when it’s something you’ve really been wanting!  I made the mistake of putting the CD in late at night so I fell asleep for part of it but what I heard I loved.  I’m hoping that when I am able to play the guitar/sing again to do a cover of one of the songs.
            As for movie entertainment it has been kind of a weird mishmash of things this week.  Consider that I have a lot of time on my hands and I’ve already watched a lot of things.  Also keep in mind that anything, exciting, suspenseful, or scary is out.  I’d rather not raise my heart rate and pass out because I picked the wrong show.  I’ve also found this week that I’m over having every show have something dirty in it, I really don’t want to drive away the spirit when the spirit has done only good things for me.  As you can see with all of these parameters that narrows down my options and I’m left with some of my childish guilty pleasures, along with some other things.

Teen Beach Movie:  Now before you judge this musical Disney Channel Original Movie just remember when High School Musical came out and how much you loved (or maybe how much you currently love) it.  Teen Beach Movie may be lacking in creativity in the title department but it makes up for it in musical numbers and costumes.  Based loosely on the fun beach movies of the 1960’s, the plot involves modern day Mack and Brady getting sucked into their favorite retro musical “Wet Side Story” (like I said, they’re not very creative with titles).   The couple accidently messes up the storyline and they have to sing their way to get the story back on track in order to get home.  Cheesy?  Yes.  Fabulous?  Also yes;)

12 Dates of Christmas:  Just think “Groundhog’s Day” with less Bill Murray and more Christmas.  The premise is that Kate relives the same blind date on Christmas Eve 12 times until she falls in love with him.  There are so many inconsistencies and plot holes but the fun part is that with each date there’s a hidden part of the 12 Days Of Christmas song. For example, on the tenth day you can see a kid with a team named Lords and the number 10 on his hoodie leaping over some boxes.  Some of the other parts of the song are more obvious but I had to watch the whole thing with my little brother so he could help me find them all.

            So there’s 2 of my current guilty pleasures but I’ve also been re-watching Parks and Recreation, along with some Planet Earth and a Cosby show spin off called A Different World.  I don’t know how long I’ll stick with the last one because I read ahead on IMDB and found out that Denise (the main character) is only in the first season out of six.  What is that?  How can you continue a show without some of the leading characters?  I’ll probably watch it out of pure curiousity…  

No comments:

Post a Comment